Angleterre: Une TJ décède suite à un accouchement.

Conspirator
Administrateur - Site Admin

Angleterre: Une TJ décède suite à un accouchement.

Messagepar Conspirator » Lun Nov 05, 2007 8:53 am

Mum aged 22 dies for Jehovah

PALS of pretty Emma Gough told last night how the devout Jehovah’s Witness cuddled her newborn twins – then died just hours later after refusing a blood transfusion.

Shopgirl Emma, 22 – whose life could have been saved after complications set in – ticked a form before the birth insisting she should not be given blood.

Medics begged husband Anthony, 24, and other members of Emma’s family to overrule her after she suffered severe blood loss and began slipping away.

Blood ban ... a legal notice, quoting the Bible, spelling out Jehovah’s Witnesses’ opposition to life-saving transfusions

Blood ban ... a legal notice, quoting the Bible, spelling out Jehovah’s Witnesses’ opposition to life-saving transfusions

But because Jehovah’s Witnesses are barred from having transfusions they refused – insisting the young mum would not want to betray her principles.

Stunned friends last night described her grieving husband – a fellow Witness who has been left to bring up the motherless twin boy and girl – as distraught.

Faith ... hall in Telford where Emma and Anthony worshipped

Faith ... hall in Telford where Emma and Anthony worshipped

Peter Welsh, 24, was best man at the couple’s beach wedding in Barbados two years ago. He said: “Everyone is devastated by what has happened.

“We can’t believe she died after childbirth in this day and age, with all the technology there is.

“What makes it even more sad is Emma had time to hold and start to bond with her twins before the complications set in.”

Yesterday shattered Anthony, a central heating engineer, was caring for the tots at his home in Telford, Shrops – as the local coroner’s office launched a probe.

He wed Emma, who worked at high street store Next, in December 2005.

Friends said the pair had been teenage sweethearts – and described Emma as a “bubbly modern girl, always full of life.”

She had been “ecstatic” to learn she was expecting twins. Emma’s mum Glenda and dad Jim – also Jehovah’s Witnesses – were at her bedside after she gave birth at the Royal Hospital in Shrewsbury.

Medics’ pleas ... hospital where Jehovah mum gave birth

Medics’ pleas ... hospital where Jehovah mum gave birth

She died in the early hours of October 25, a week last Thursday.

Yesterday grief-stricken Jim, 43, refused to comment.

Both sides of the family – including Anthony’s parents Sham and Ian Gough – closed ranks and remained tightlipped.

A woman relative mixing baby feeds for the twins at Emma’s home insisted: “We have nothing to say.”

Best man Peter – also a Jehovah’s Witness – said: “Luckily Anthony is part of a big family. They will all pitch in to help him bring up the twins.” But he added: “Anthony is in pieces.”

Part of the Jehovah faith says the Bible prohibits the “consumption, storage and transfusion of blood” and quotes the book of Acts.

Some Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that to have a transfusion is the same as consuming or eating blood.

A spokesman for the local Kingdom Hall, where Emma and Anthony worshipped, said: “This is a terrible time for the whole family.

Click here to find out more!

“They are all grieving terribly. The entire Witness community is distraught and including them in their prayers.”

Friend Peter, of Sutton Hill, Telford, told how Emma’s dream had always been to marry on a Caribbean beach.

Loving Anthony organised the ceremony as a surprise.

Grief ... hubby Anthony

Grief ... hubby Anthony

Emma said at the time: “Anthony went ahead and booked it without telling me. You can imagine my surprise.” The excited couple exchanged vows in the tropical sun as a steel band played under palm trees.

Peter said: “Thirty guests, including both sets of parents, arrived a few days before the ceremony.

“A local minister was booked to officiate. Emma and Anthony stayed in separate rooms in the hotel because our faith strictly bans sex before marriage. The wedding was the happiest day of their lives.

“They were desperate for a family and no one was surprised to hear Emma was expecting not far into the New Year.

“It was no great surprise that Emma was having twins because they run in Anthony’s family every few generations.

“Emma was as happy as I have ever seen her and looking forward to the birth.

“Now it is up to everyone to rally round and look after Anthony and the twins,” A coroner’s office source confirmed: “We are investigating why she did not have a transfusion. An inquest will be held.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 427045.ece
Conspirator

Messagepar Conspirator » Mar Nov 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Mother who died after refusing transfusion ‘did the right thing’
Will Pavia

Jehovah’s Witnesses defended yesterday the decision of a young mother who died after refusing a potentially life-saving blood transfusion, having just given birth to twins.

To agree to a transfusion would have been a transgression comparable to adultery or sexual immorality, a spokesman from the central office of the British community of Jehovah’s Witnesses told The Times yesterday.

His stout defence of the religion’s position on transfusions came as family, friends and work colleagues of Emma Gough, 22, gathered at her funeral in Telford, Shropshire.

Mrs Gough, who died on October 25 at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, had signed a form stating that she did not wish to receive a blood transfusion. When complications followed the birth of her son and daughter, and she suffered severe blood loss, her family refused to allow doctors to override her wishes.
Related Links

* What Jehovah's Witnesses believe

* 'The mother who died could have been me'

Multimedia

* Libby Purves on the Jehovah's Witness death

An inquest was opened on October 30 and a spokesman for the coroner’s office gave the cause of death as complications of profound anaemia, haemorrhage and complications of a twin delivery.

The twins, whom she held before she died, are in the care of her husband, Anthony, 24, a central heating engineer from Telford. “We’re coping as best we can,” he told the Shropshire Star. “With everything that’s happened, it’s very difficult for everyone.”

Terry Lovejoy, a member of the Jehovah’s Witness community in Telford, said: “We are trying to help them through an intense period of grief and mourning.”

At the central office for Jehovah’s Witnesses in London, Paul Gillies, its spokesman, said: “If someone did [have a blood transfusion] they would be saying they don’t really believe in one of the central tenets of the faith.

“The biblical instruction is coupled with adultery and sexual immorality,” he said, referring to verses in Acts xv. “It says to abstain from adultery, to abstain from blood, to abstain from immorality,” he said. “Jehovah’s Witnesses might be forgiven for accepting one if they were genuine in their repentance, in the same way as if someone says, ‘I have committed adultery, I’m very sorry’.” Though such injunctions date from an age before blood transfusions, and refer to the consumption of blood, Mr Gillies said: “If someone said, ‘Don’t drink alcohol’ and I injected it into my arms instead, that would just be a way round the law’.”

He added that, although he did not know the details of Mrs Gough’s case, “it is not an exact science that if you take blood you are going to live”.

Christine Harris, a friend of the family, said: “The family have told me that a blood transfusion wouldn’t have saved Emma.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses “hospital liaison committees” work with British hospitals. Mr Lovejoy serves as a liaison officer with the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, helping to ensure that doctors are aware of alternative treatments. In 2000 this network disseminated a report, Care Plan for Women in Labour Refusing a Blood Transfusion.

A spokeswoman for the British Medical Association said that the death of Mrs Gough was a “cut and dried case”.

“I am sure the doctors will have done all they can to try to persuade this woman to have a blood transfusion but they could never force her to,” she said. “To do so would be against the Human Rights Act.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 814179.ece
Conspirator

Une ancienne Tj déclare que dans la même situation

Messagepar Conspirator » Mar Nov 06, 2007 6:15 pm

elle s'est senti forcé de signer des papiers par les CLH;

Refusing blood 'source of regret'
Rachel Underhill
Ms Underhill has left the Jehovah's Witnesses
When Rachel Underhill heard news of the death of 22-year-old Jehovah's Witness Emma Gough last month after refusing a blood transfusion, it brought back memories of her own traumatic choice eight years ago.

Like Ms Gough, Ms Underhill had said "no" to receiving blood while giving birth to twins because of rules on transfusions laid down by their religion.

Having been brought up as a Jehovah's Witness, Ms Underhill, now 32, from Peacehaven, near Brighton, says she believed she had no choice but to sign a form refusing blood treatment which had been handed to her by religious elders.

She says she feared being "disfellowshipped", or being rejected by the religion if she declined to sign.

Paperwork

"The doctors went through my notes and realised I was a Jehovah's Witness. The Jehovah's Witness hospital liaison committee came up with a pile of paperwork for me to sign so that I didn't have blood."

All I can say is that if there is a scenario where welfare of dependant children is involved, doctors should have the power to overturn the decision
Rachel Underhill
Former Jehovah's Witness

But when giving birth to her twin girls by emergency Caesarean section - prematurely at 30 weeks - Ms Underhill began to understand the reality of her choice.

She remembers one concerned anaesthetist warning her that she was risking her own life as well as the future of her children.

"She said, 'Do you realise you are going to die and your children are going to be motherless?'"

Although the twins had to be put in a special care baby unit for six weeks, Ms Underhill did not need any extra blood. Instead, she received iron injections and ate beetroot to restore her haemoglobin levels.

'Unhappy marriage'

But, as time went on, Ms Underhill began to feel uncomfortable with some of the teachings of her religion.

Three years after giving birth, she says she instigated her own "disfellowshipping" by creating an imaginary adulterous affair. This not only allowed her to leave the religion, but also what she describes as her "unhappy marriage".

Many believe blood equals life and no blood equals death - it is not that simple
Jehovah's Witnesses spokesman

Now a successful businesswoman, Ms Underhill has set up a website to help others thinking of leaving the faith. And she has no regrets about the decision she made.

When her daughter became ill earlier this year, she was "overjoyed" to sign consent forms to allow her to receive blood if needed.

Looking back on her own experiences, she now wants doctors to be able to override the wishes of all patients and says transfusions should never carry "fear of censure".

"After this sad case of Emma, all I can say is that if there is a scenario where the welfare of dependant children is involved, doctors should have the power to overturn the decision."

But the Jehovah's Witnesses in Britain deny coercion is used to prevent patients having blood transfusions, saying such a suggestion is "repugnant" to their faith.

Blood
Jehovah's Witnesses believe they should abstain from blood

"This is something we would never support," spokesman Stephen Papps says.

He says that the religion's stance on blood is something everyone is aware of when they join and that to be a Jehovah's Witness it is essential to follow the Bible's teachings.

"We are not anti-medicine. When it comes to medical choices we go through the same process as anyone else - but we take the Bible seriously."

He adds: "Many believe blood equals life and no blood equals death - it is not that simple. Abstaining from blood often cuts out the chance of other diseases and other health outcomes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7080902.stm

Retourner vers « Sang »